Date and venue
1 June 2015, 09:00 - 17:00
Vrije Universiteit Brussel (VUB), Auditorium P. Brouwer (building A)
Laarbeeklaan 103, 1090 Brussels
On 1 June 2015, BAPH organises a workshop on public mental health, with a special focus on suicide.
During this day, public health researchers and professionals
active or interested in public mental health can learn the current state in Belgium
and interact with their colleagues.
This BAPH Workshop will contribute to an increased awareness of the diverse challenges
of public mental health and to the discussion how these can be addressed.
In the afternoon we will focus specifically on suicide.
Worldwide, approximately a million people commit suicide every year.
With about 2000 deaths by suicide per year or a mean of 6 deaths per day, Belgium ranks
above the mean suicide figures worldwide and at the top of the suicide figures in Europe.
The workshop is divided in two parts:
- In the morning, public mental health will be presented as a public health priority.
- A keynote speech will introduce the topic at the global and the European level.
- We will be informed on the organizational aspects and the policy plans of the three regions in Belgium.
- Finally, the mental health reform in Belgium will be presented.
- The afternoon session will focus on suicide and suicide attempts.
- We will have a look at the current figures on the topic,
- as well as on the preventive strategies used
- and the results of research projects.
Selected poster abstracts will be on display throughout the workshop. Poster language is English.
The 2015 workshop, entitled "Public Mental Health and Suicide"
is financed by the Belgian Association of Public Health (BAPH)
with support from the Fund for Scientific Research-FNRS
(Fonds de la Recherche Scientifique - FNRS).
Click one of the following links for a flyer with a detailed overview of the programme (PDF)